Friday, September 27, 2013

Dogs Can Dance Challenge - Audition Performance Submissions

When we entered the very first ever Dogs Can Dance Challenge event - Summer Fun 2011 - I submitted this version of Dean's Bolero routine (a very early version) as an Audition submission in the Beginner Classical Freestyle Division.



Back at this time, Dean could not perform in front of a camera unless I had food in my hands!  He has come a long, long way!

My favorite of the judge's comments on this routine:

"Dog was absolutely focused and precise.  Connection between dog and handler was visible"

"The movements selected for this routine definitely demonstrate impressive strengths.  I liked this music choice for Dean; it suits him well (he seems to be a very serious guy!).  Your choreography is simple and deliberate, which makes it very powerful."

And some useful critique:

"Need more work on closing picture"

"I don't understand your use of the 'paws up' moves in this routine; they don't add anything of value"
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fast forward to Dance into Spring 2013!  I submitted Maddie's only existing practice video of the routine that we were creating to Bond's "Victory".  This piece really let her elegant and powerful movement shine forth!



I will always wish that Maddie and I would have had the opportunity to perform this "for real", but I was glad to be able to share Maddie's work in the Challenge through Audition.

A couple of my favorite comments:

"Maddie had a style of precision all her own.  Her moves and positioning were very clear while still showing her personality through it all."

"The routine that you created for her showed her enthusiasm and power.  Such a great way to honor her and to involve her in your DCD team.  Her personality and joy really shined in the video.  It was a pleasure to watch."

"This was on its way to being a nice routine.  Maddie has very nice axial movement."

"The dog was very happy to work with the handler. She was working hard to understand what the handler was asking for the dance steps. The handler was very encouraging and sensitive to the dog's needs. They were on the right path to develop their trust in each other and to form an excellent team."

I won't share any critique.  There just isn't any point.

I am very glad that I had this pretty good sample of Maddie's dancing to share as an Audition routine!



No comments:

Post a Comment